National Talent Search Examination (NTSE)
is an exam under NTS scheme to award scholarship to students studying at the Class X level
. Scholarships are awarded up to Ph.D. in Sciences, Social Sciences, Humanities, Languages, Commerce, Vocational Studies and Fine arts. And up to second degree level for professional courses in medicines, engineering, technology, management and law.
NTSE is a two-tier examination conducted in two stages. NTS stage-I is conducted by States and Union Territories whereas NCERT conducts stage-II examination.
NTSE consists of Mental Ability Test (MAT) and Scholastic Aptitude Test (SAT) having multiple choice questions. Every year about 1000 scholarships are awarded.
All students studying in Class X in any recognized school is eligible to appear for Stage-I NTSE exam. Additionally, State/UT can impose any eligibility criteria to appear in Stage-I. For stage-II, there is a quota for each State and Union Territory computed based on Student enrollment at secondary level. Students with Indian Nationality studying abroad need to secure 60% marks in previous examination to apply for NTS exam. Such students, if selected, need to appear for Stage-II NTSE directly.
There are 3 papers in both stages –
- Mental Ability Test (MAT)
- Language Test and
- Scholastic Ability Test (SAT).
Questions are in the form of multiple choices with negative marking deducting 1/3 marks. The tests are available in Asamiya, Bangla, English, Gujarati, Hindi, Kannada, Marathi, Malyalam, Odia, Punjabi, Tamil, Telugu and Urdu. However, language test is available in two languages – English & Hindi.
||No. of Questions
|Mental Ability Test (MAT)
|Scholastic Ability Test (SAT)
- Candidates need to apply for NTSE Stage-I as per the advertisement or circular issued by the respective State/UT Government.
- Applications and form fees need to be submitted to Liaison officer of State/UT as and when mentioned in the advertisement.
- NCERT will send the examination details and roll numbers directly to the selected candidates through speed post. No separate application or fee is required NTSE Stage-II.
- Students with Indian Nationality studying abroad need to apply through the Head of the Institution where they are presently studying. These applications need to be sent to Head Educational Survey Division, NCERT, Delhi – 16 with the attested copy of Class IX.
|Availability of Application
||To be updated
|Last submission date of NTSE 2018 Application Form
||To be notified by the respective State/UT
|NTSE Stage 1 2018 admit card
|NTSE Stage 1 2018 exam date
|NTSE Stage 2 2018 exam