Joint Entrance Examination (Main) Eligibilty
Eligibility criteria for Joint Entrance Examination is laid down by JEE Apex Board. It describes age limit, number of attempts, subjects in qualifying examination. Students find JEE Main 2018 Eligibility Criteria. Their questions range from percentage required in class 12 to minimum / maximum age, how many attempts? Another key point to note that apart from JEE Main 2018 eligibility criteria, there is eligibility for admission. NITs, IIITs, CFTIs take admission on AIR of JEE Main if candidate has a minimum marks in class 12. for being eligible for JEE Advanced 2018 also you will have to satisfy separate eligibility.
Date of birth should be on or after 01 October 1993. SC, ST, PwD candidates may be born on or after 01 October 1990 as age relaxation is applicable. Note that birth date in Secondary education board or University certificate is valid.
Qualifying examination year
You must have either passed class 12 in 2016 or 2017, or you are going to appear for exam in 2018. Year of appearing in qualifying examination must not be 2015 or earlier, or 2019 or later. If you had not passed in 2015 and appeared again in 2016, then eligibility criteria does not satisfy.
Subjects in qualifying examination
There must be at least 5 subjects in qualifying examination. By qualifying examination, class 12 or equivalent is implied.
Number of attempts
There can be maximum of 3 attempts for Joint Entrance Examination Mains.
NITs, IIITs, CFTI admission through JEE Main 2018 eligibility
You need to have a valid JEE Main 2018 score and rank. Also you must have scored at least 75% in class 12 exam or be in top 20 percentile in board. Marks required to be in top 20 percentile depends on average performance of students in that board and boards release data for that after board exam results announce. You can check what marks fufilled top 20 percentile criteria below to get an idea.
For BE/B.Tech admission, you must have studied Physics and Mathematics as compulsory subjects and any one of Chemistry / Biotechnology / Biology / Technical Vocational subject. For B.Arch/B.Plan, passing 10+2 with Mathematics is a part of eligibility. Other institutes that accept JEE Main 2018 score can have different eligibility criteria for admission.
Joint Entrance Examination (Advanced) Eligibilty
Criterion 1 - Performance in JEE Main
- The candidate should be among top 2,20,000 (all categories included) in JEE Main.
- The percentage of the total number of candidates for various categories are as follows:
- 50.5% for GEN (from the common rank list)
- 27% for OBC-NCL
- 15% for SC
- 7.5% for STWithin each of these four categories, 3% horizontal reservation is available for PwD candidates. PwD category includes Dyslexic candidates also.
Criterion 2 - Age Limit
- 24 years if belonging to the GEN or OBC-NCL category and 29 years if belonging to the SC, ST or PwD category
Criterion 3 - Number of Attempts
- A candidate can attempt JEE Advanced a maximum of two times and that too in consecutive years.
Criterion 4 - Appearance in Class XII (or equivalent) examination
- The candidate should have appeared for Class XII (or equivalent) examination for the first time in all the subjects in either the preceding year or the year of JEE Advanced exam.
- Those, who appeared for the first time in their class XII (or equivalent) examination in the year before the preceding year or earlier, are not eligible. However, candidates whose class XII (or equivalent) examination board results for an academic year (3 years prior to the current JEE Advanced exam year), were declared after June of the following year (a year prior to the preceding year of the examination) are eligible to appear for JEE Advanced.
Criterion 5 - Earlier admission at IITs/ISM
Examinations considered as equivalent to class XII
The final examination of the 10+2 system, conducted by a Central or State Board recognized by the Association of Indian Universities
Intermediate or two-year Pre-University examination conducted by a Board or University recognized by the Association of Indian Universities
Final examination of the two-year course of the Joint Services Wing of the National Defence Academy
Senior Secondary School Examination conducted by the National Institute of Open Schooling with a minimum of five subjects
Any Public School, Board or University examination in India or in a foreign country recognized as equivalent to the 10+2 system by the Association of Indian Universities (AIU)
H.S.C. vocational examination
A Diploma recognized by the All India Council for Technical Education or a State Board of Technical Education of at least 3 years duration
General Certificate Education (GCE) examination (London, Cambridge or Sri Lanka) at the Advanced (A) level
High School Certificate Examination of the Cambridge University or International Baccalaureate Diploma of the International Baccalaureate Office, Geneva
- The candidate should not have taken admission (irrespective of whether or not he/she continued in the programme) or even accepted admission by paying admission fee at any of the IITs or ISM in the past; even candidates whose admission was cancelled are not eligible. However, candidates who have been admitted to a preparatory course in any of the IITs in the preceding year can appear for JEE Advanced.
Admissions to IITs/ISM Dhanbad:
One of the criteria for admission to IITs and ISM is that the candidate should satisfy at least one of these two criteria:
- He/she is within the category-wise top 20 percentile of successful candidates in his/her respective Class XII (or equivalent) board examination.
- He/she has secured 75% marks (for GEN or OBC-NCL) or 65% (SC, ST or PwD) of aggregate marks in Class XII (or equivalent) board examination.
The marks scored in the following five subjects will be considered for calculating the aggregate marks and the cut-off marks for fulfilling the top 20 percentile criterion:
- A language (if the candidate has taken more than one language, then the language with the higher marks will be considered)
- Any subject other than the above four (the subject with the higher marks will be considered)